Thursday, April 06, 2006

Another one FREE ...


Anyone remember Chris Kanyon? From WWE? NO. What about from WCW (that's no longer in existence)? No. What about from TNA (Total Nonstop Action, not that other thing that str8 boys giggle and gawk at)? Not ringing any bells? No worries, I too vaguely remember him. And I mean VERY VAGUELY remember him. But, had I known back in 1995, when Kanyon shone brightly in spotlight up until 2005, then it might have been a different story. Reason being, he's gay.

Thats right, a reknowned Wrestling superstar (up for debate if you ask me) has come out of the closet. Published on OutSports' website (www.outsports.com) is an exerpt of Kanyons first interview since coming out. That article was published on said website March 31, 2006.

Now, Kanyon's career as a wrestler is questionable to me ONLY for the fact that I've been out of the wrestling loop for a LONG TIME. But nevertheless, Kanyon has been known to associate with the likes of Diamond Dallas Page, Bam Bam Bigelow and wrestled against the likes of WWE superstar's "The Undertaker" and "Kane". Credibility no longer questioned.

Anyways, if I had known then what I know now aspect of this post. What would my life have been like if I had a gay wrestler to look up too? As a wrestling fan (not necessarily a fanatic, but a fan nonetheless) who happen to be gay, I don't think I was more isolated and more forced into the closet, than in any other sport. (although, hockey is right up there). And so with the news that a wrestler who has wrestled in the WWE, I can't help but wonder what it would have been like.

Either way, Kris Kanyon, congrats. I honestly mean that, to be able to come out of the closet while partaking in wrestling is very courageous and very honorable. Congrats. And if anyone gives you any crap for it, just suplex them.

Brief tidbits to keep your attention:

- TNA banned Kanyon from attending a PPV event (due to "technical legalities", according to TNA; must also be stated he was banned after coming out during a match with TNA)
- Kanyon played the stunt double for Oliver in Ready To Rumble which stared David Arquette and Sting



For more infor on Kanyon, you may visit his MSN MySpace at:
http://www.myspace.com/chriskanyon

Or check out Outsports.com [linked to the right]

No comments: