Thursday, November 22, 2007

Cabs Suck

And so today (or night, since its 3 AM), I took two cabs to get home. Two.

The past few days have been nuts since our lounge closed down for renovations which also means labor must but cut as well. And therefore, today, I have two other able bodies in the kitchen instead of 5. And to make matters more interesting, they were all scheduled off early, leaving me even more clean up to do myself. Now maybe I'm just too used to the way it used to be, but it was hard.

After work, around 2AM, I called a cab. Now I must mention that I live on the other side of downtown and the only route to get home was through downtown. The ride does get interesting and expensive when you hit all the red lights.

As tired as I was, and even moreso because I have to be up early the next day to open the restuarant I had just closed, I was releived when the cab showed up mere minutes after I called. I jumped in, gave him my address, put on my headphones and slowly started dazed off (but I didn't fall asleep).

Next I know, after taking a phone call on his cell phone, the cabbie pulls over at a hotel and asks another cab (of a different company) if he's busy. He was, and we were off again, to another hotel where he dropped me off. Now, I'm nowhere near home, in fact, I'm only half way home AND halfway through downtown. From here, I had to hail another cab to get home.

I called the company and complained, who in return "assured" me that the cabbie was "disciplined" (whoever could not tell me how because it was against policy to do so). Whatever. And so, it costed me more to get home than it should in money, and time.

I'm still thinking about calling the Taxi Commission (the other cab I hailed told me to do so as that he seen what happened).

No comments: