Thursday, November 08, 2007

Halloween was halloween. After the funeral, I spent time with family before I had to be on the road again; mainly spent time with my mom. We cooked dinner quickly before the constant disruption of knocks at the door followed by "Trick Or Treat!". My older sis stopped by with my niece and her newest edition, a pup named Missy, and had dinner with us. In a family of 6 (more if you include their kids), it was still nice with just the three of us. We chatted about ourselves and about what was new over a roast chicken dinner, all the while handing out candies and treats to plenty of ghouls and goblins and princesses and animals alike, who arrived to our doorstep.

It seems to be custom to be constantly busy whenever I can make it home; little time to ever sit still.

Soon after dinner, my mom had her bingo itch and went off for the evening, leaving me to hand out whatever candies were left. I didn't mind, I was home; and by the this time my lil neice was already becoming quite a help (which quickly ended, evident by her constant hissing (literally) at trick-or-treaters, I thought she was in character at the time as she was dressed as a vampire with fake blood tearing from her eyes [which actually looked like a bad war paint job, lol]. But what else to expect from children.)

The candies were running low as my best friend showed up at the door in all smiles as his middle child, dressed as a pumpkin, softly called "Trick or Treat". They visited for awhile; followed by my aunt with her tribe of 3 boys (her own) and 3 grandkids (same age as her boys who are the children from her neice [my cousin, native families get complicated]). Nevertheless, the house got noisy as they screamed and "talked loudly" as one child professed when asked to stop shouting.

In a flash though, they all left to continue their evening and soon go home. Well, most anyways, as my aunts grandkids (my niece and nephews) were the only ones watching tv; apparently I was left to babysit. So much for my plans of leaving to visit more people that evening. Hours later their 'ride' would show up, and they were off.

It was nice though, the last time I seen them, they were just kids, barely able to speak a word. And now, there they stood speaking with appropriate grammar; as much as pre-teens could speak that is. Not a single diaper in sight. My how I've missed so much.

That evening I pretty much slept, thusly in doing so missing my bus back to calgary and rushing around the next day to catch another.

It was an odd Halloween this year. Definately one I didn't plan.

No comments: