Saturday, July 07, 2007

Back 2 Me

It was cold. The entire room was cold, and it felt good. It felt like I was at home again. A childs peace surged within me as I stepped onto the ice and glided to the center. It felt like I was floating. And there I stood, dead center of the ice rink as I glared at the stands surrounding me.

And I remembered. I could see once again my parents sitting in the stands, together, cheering me on; surrounding by other parents all cheering. It echoed throughout arena and I was exhilerated.

I pushed with one leg to the boards towards the penalty box, and followed them as they surrounded the ice. My skates glided along the ice in perfect harmony of the beating of my heart, and there I kept it; in sync with every beat. But with every stroke I took another preceeded it even more quickly. Faster and faster I skated along the boards of the rink, and the faster I went the more excited I got. Suddenly, I was child again.

Quickly I turned around, still heading in the same direction, skating backwards. And even backwards I lodged around the corners of the rink. And I stopped.

Catching a breath, I remembered what it was like as a tyke, holding the hockey puck behind the goalies net. Staring down at the opponents nets, your ultimate goal; and realising how to get there. The five opposing players stay fixated on you as your teammates set themselves up for a play. And theres no choice but for you to press on.

You make your way forward, dodging this player and that player, zigging left and zagging right all the while picking up speed. You never know what the opponent will do; whether they'll poke your hockey stick with theirs at an attempt to loosen the puck, or if they'll body check you to the ice like you just hit a brick wall. But your always ready, to pass the puck or simply press forward, your ready.

And I as I skated up along the ice, pretending to dodge this person and that person and ultimately make the winning goal, I savoured it. I missed it with all my heart and for once I was in my glory.

... It was another heavy sleep. The mintue I awoke I swore I just came back to life as all my muscles ached at slightest movement. I was hot in this summers sweltering heat. But I remembered.

Even in the summer time, I was off at hockey summer camp.

No comments: