Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why I left ... Calgary Prt 1

So I was in Calgary, with no schooling, no job prospects, but on the verge of something big with a friend. We were starting our own business. With the developement of local gay bars shutting down left, right and center, we saw a market open up with gay men needed a place to go and relax and eat and drink and dance. And so we decided to open a restaurant/eatery/bar/nightclub. NUMEROUS reasons emerged that made this idea a flop. The main reason, my business partner was a dumbass.
- He portrayed my business plan as his own.
- Stole someone elses excel spreadsheet for his own purposes and would stare at it day after day in my presence (I'm assuming in an attempt to prove that he knew what he was doing).
- He used a name and concept that was already in existence, and was sued for it.
- Lied to the owners of the building as to what it was going to be used for and started demolision on the interior before it was paid for.
- Lied to the community that our business was to be located in.
- Started making purchases and started moving forward before the start up capital could be realised.
- And all the while expected me to contribute 80% of the start-up capital but only own 50% of the business.

PS, he was my best friend at the time. I pulled out of the business, moved out of the apartment, and was essentially homeless. Thank god I was seeing someone at the time, and even though I really didn't want to, I moved in with him.

We were together for a while, probably longer than we should have. But I met even better friends through him. I challenged my inner demons with him, and conquered alot of garbage that my past bestowed on me; and even better, he never left. He stayed by me the whole time. We broke up, simply because it wasn't that kind of relationship, and we became even better friends because of it. I know I can always count on him, and he knows he can always count on me.

No comments: