Thursday, March 10, 2011

Why I left ... Calgary Prt 2

While I had a few relationships in Calgary, I mostly learned alot about myself in regards to work. I took a few different jobs in many a-different areas and eventually learned that if I'm not happy to go to work, then I need to fix it.

As mentioned, I went to Calgary, to work for a law firm. I was fired, lol. I was essentially glad.

I worked for a landscaping company, and quit after a week. The woman who hired me was not pleased, but I suspect she wasn't pleased with much anyways.

I worked for a restaurant. I excelled at it and became quite good. I worked from the bottom and essentially could have become assistant kitchen manager. I never crashed the kitchen, dishes were always done when need be (no, I wasn't a dishwasher, but I knew how to lead the kitchen crew). I was the best closer they had, and the KM (kitchen Manager), HM (House Manager) never had to worry when I was on shift. Unfortunately, while I was on vacation, the restaurant shut down. (another long story in itself, another story for another day)

At this time, I suffered a family tragedy, and took time off for myself and went back home; but I couldn't stay long at home. I wanted a certain someone in my life, and I couldn't have that there. So even though I wasn't ready, I went back to Calgary.

I found a pre-apprenticeship program that helped me find, what would be the best and most awesome job I EVER had. I became an Ironworker.

Now I had never done construction in my life, and the only manual labor I had ever encountered was becuase of my uncle who didn't want to do it himself. Which essentially steered my away from any manuel labor. Plus my mother was business oriented so I always had a job in offices while growing up. I had never done construction. But I was at a point where I couldn't be picky anymore, I needed money, I needed a job. But two distant cousins I ended up meeting were in the same program, and we did it together.

I was an Ironworker for almost two years. Best job EVER!!! I concentrated on curtain wall, which is the installation of the outer wall on skyscrapers. So we are the guys, on the open ledges of buildings 40 stories in the air. It was AWESOME!! Great pay, great benefits, great brotherhood. But I couldn't get beyond the idea that I would be treated differently if they knew I was gay. And while I was out on other jobs, I wasn't here. Although I suspect that a few assumed I was.

It wasn't until a very long, very cold winter that I had an epiphany. In Calgary, the best thing about Calgary winters, is the chinooks. A warm front will come in, melt the snow and give ya a few days where you could walk around in shorts in february or march or whatever. It gets warm, it isn't always -30 degress Celcius. The last season I was an ironwoker, it stayed. The cold didn't go anywhere. And I still had to work in -30 degree weather, 40 stories above in the air, facing that cold snap head on. It sucked.

But I mustered it out. It comes with the territory and I didn't complain ... as much. (I wasn't the only one complaining, it was that cold) But it was a job. But I found, as the weather got warmer and warmer, my mind wandered more and more to other things. One day, while I was busting open crate and lowered 800lb panels to the floor, it hit me. I will be doing this for years. In ten years, this is exactly what I will be doing. It was mindless work, for me. I caught on quick, I loved the job, it payed very well. But I soon realised that I was just miserable. And I wasn't miserable with my job, but I was miserable with life, with friends, with choices I was making. I was just miserable in Calgary.

So I left. Now I'm here in Vancouver ... and I love it here.

No comments: