Friday, August 05, 2005

And I Sit In Darkness


I remember when during my first year college, when my roommate would be gone for the vening, I would turn off all electronics in the house off. And I mean everything. The TV, the stereo, all lights; and I would just sit in the living in complete silence and darkness. Just me alone and technologically free. Well ... almost technologically free. Most times I would turn on the electric fire place. A nice warm blaze at the flick of a switch. There was just something serene about just being in the moment, even if nothing was happening in that particular moment. Sometimes I would try to block out every comfort one could have and I would lie on the floor instead of on the couch. I would stare at the ceiling and try to reach a sense of enlightenment. But whatever I would do. I would be at peace. Just me and the calm of nothingness.


Too bad I live in a bigger city now. Cause even if I turn everything off in my apartment and even attempt to recreate the fire place with numerous candles, ... there will always be the hussle and bussle of regular downtown city life. There will always be sirens and traffic and people creeping through the window cracks to ensure the calm of nothingness ceases to exist.

No comments: