Monday, May 14, 2007

Speck of Dust prt 2

"Put garbage there and go inside" the cop instructed.

And within that moment, as he and his partner stared at me through their sunglasses, I spotted seven other police squad cars surrounding 'a suspect' in our parking lot. Acting confused I put down the garbage and went back inside.

"Well," asked my kitchen manager, "whats going on?"

"I don't know," I replied, "a cop just asked me to put the garbage down and get back in here."

"What did you do?"

"Let me think," my sarcasm was starting to surface, "a built, solid white cop with a badge and a gun ... this native put the garbage down and came inside."

Moments had passed and by this time, we were outside watching what was going on. Two of our servors were sitting nearby and googling with lusty eyes towards the boys in blue as they searched a vehicle inside and out, and later on searched 'the suspects' shoes and pockets. Co-workers and I cracked jokes with each other while the local media took pictures and conversed on their cell phones. We never really figured out what was going on.

An hour later, the lot was empty and the car being searched was gone. We still had a kitchen to run and were soon making pizzas as per usual.

4:30 rolled on in and I was preparing to leave for the day. The night shift crew made their way in one by one, and with each co-worker strolling in we heard of a big accident at the intersection we're located on. "Must be the same cops that were just here," I joked.

No comments: