Saturday, May 12, 2007

Speck of Dust

Friday .. should be the most busiest day ever for a restaurant kitchen. I had expected wholeheartedly a vast demand of pre-orders as I opened the kitchen this morning. As usual, I would get about 7 bills of perhaps 7-16 pizzas to be ready between the hours of 11:30 and 11:45 (usually its 11:45am). And get this, we have one oven to cook it all in. And as the manager would give me all the bills, and as my eyes of disgust attempt to persuay guilt upon him, he would shrug his shoulders and a small smirk would peek through the left side of his mouth; all the more showing me where I really stand in this restaurant.

I finished 'kitchen set-up' in my street clothes and even had time for a coffee and a smoke outside. All sauces were ready, all utencils in place. All lines completely stocked. And all employees doing what they should be doing. As I slowly walked up the stairs to change into my uniform I see that the owner is back in town, and as per usual on the phone. Frankly, I don't care. And trust me, with the turnover rate that this restaurant experiences .. neither does he. Even he's seen his best come and go.

N E Ways ... I go back downstairs to check on everything again, only this time really waiting for the dreaded pre-orders. But nothing came. I wait and wait and wait .. hell I even go back outside for one more smoke, and nothing. Thats really odd for a Friday.

... the clock ticked and ticked. I have my days pinned to the minute. And thusfully I should, I've been doing it everyday for a year now. The announcement posted on the all boards in the place remind me consistently since this month started. (someone kill me now) Nevertheless, noon is about to strike. Its friday, so we're about to be raped. Its going to be bill after bill after bill all punched in at the same time and all expected to be made at the same time. I'm going to need all my kitched crew at the lines and for the next hour and half to be running like crazy to make sure all food goes out with perfection. tic ... tic ... tic ...

And nothing. I didn't even need all my guys.

Hours have passed, and as I'm spacing into the air in front of me. The servers, and I mean ALL the servers storm passed me through the lounge door and out the back door. As I stand wondering whats going on, they storm back in all in giddly amusement (must be a girl thing). But luckily, I need to take out the garbage anyways. I grab one bag, tie it up and make my way to the back door. I open it, go outside .. and am met by two police officers. WTF?!

"Keep that there," one says, "and go back inside."


--- to be continued

No comments: