Friday, April 15, 2005

sr: And yet another ....

Damn! Coming across these old writings of mine are making me wonder if I ever had any fun in the past. Not literally, for I know I did and I have the friends (although back home and not here with me) to prove it. But like I said, one cannot escape the realities of the past. And so, here's another writing .....

It was 12:30pm. Normally I would be at the college, just getting out of my Film class. But today, I had decided not to go. Instead, I was at home, eating my breakfast at lunchtime.
That time of day, there’s usually nothing exciting on TV, just reruns of last decades top TV programs. Good thing for me though, for they’re programs I grew up watching. I turn on the television to channel forty, and just my luck,
Fresh Prince of Bel Air is on, Wil Smith’s debut to fame. I remember back in the day, my brothers and sisters and I could rely on the Bank’s family for a good laugh. We would even recite the entire rap intro complete with tone and all. (lame, I know, but we were young and mere country kids) Even my parents got in on the laughter from time to time. But not today. Today, it was just me, and today the show would stir up issues inside me. The goody-two-shoe antics of Charlton Banks and Hilary’s snobbish ways were not enough to make me laugh. Instead I felt the message of the show.
Anyone whose a fan of the show, knows that Wil goes to live with his aunt and uncle in Bel Air to escape the streets of Philadelphia. Now this isn’t the message I was talking about. Instead, in this specific episode, Wil’s estranged father suddenly shows up after 14 years of nothing. No phone call, no letter, just one day Wil’s father appears at his work and says hi. In summary, they get together, after a brief hesitance Wil gives his father a chance, and everything seems to be going fine as they are about to spend an entire summer together. Until Wil’s father bails and leave’s Wil broken hearted.
It was the moments at the end of the episode that struck a chord in my heart. Wil stands in the living room, pretending to be fine with what has just happened. Even says to his uncle, a witness to the event, that he has gotten along fine without his father. He learned to shave on his own, play ball on his own, pretty much learned to do everything on his own. And he ends it with a question, “Why doesn’t he want me?” By this time, I was in tears myself. For there I sat, relating everything Wil has just said inside my head. For I too am a college student, and I too also learned to shave alone, play ball alone, pretty much take care of myself, alone.
Knowing fully well it was just a TV show, I got up off the couch and continued on my day. But that show had taken its toll on me. By the time my next class rolled around, I had no desire to attend. Instead, I had gone to Chapter’s to read the latest magazines. I was flipping through the latest edition of
Men’s Health, and an article caught my attention. Single fathers and their children who live with their mothers. (I wish I can remember the exact title, but at this time I cannot). There was one line that fully caught my attention. “Any child who has gone through, or is going through a divorce, is not okay.” How true that was, because here I sit, 10 years after my parents separation and it still effects me to this day.

No comments: