Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Gay / Str8 Relationships

I was reading a column over at Out.com about gay / str8 relationships. And I must say that I just don't get it. Perhaps I'm lucky and fortunate not to have bestowed upon me the not knowing if str8 mates will abandon me upon their learning that I'm gay. I've always accepted them for who they were, and always accepted that sometimes friends just won't understand. Not because they don't want to understand, but because in thier life, they can't. I've always believed that people just need time. Plus, as younglings (I'm only 23 so obviously I'm referring to an even younger age) we were always there to support one another. (Yes, we needed help and support even at the times of being a pre-teen). But truth be told, we've already been through so much together as friends that I did not fear them. But of course, I still didn't know for sure which is probably why I hadn't come out until just recently.

But nevertheless, the article is in reference to gay / str8 relationships that have lasted a life time. And perhaps thats the one thing I don't get. (I did just mention that I'm 23 yrs) The article can be found here ... (http://www2.out.com/detail.asp?id=12310&t=senior_moment)

[I apologise if the link did not work, this 'mac' *rolls eyes* is way out of whack] UPDATE!!! Click the "Gay / Str8 Relationships" header, it will take you to the forementioned article.

For the most part, I gather, the author is implying he continued to live his is life from a young age in conformity. He attempted to live by society's implied rules of what it meant to be gay. Remind you, back in those days, being gay wasn't fashionable and definately not blunty portrayed in the popular media. And therefore, became defensive when others (like his best friend who was str8) displayed any sense of discomfort towards any element of homosexuality. But time went on, they lived their lives and both had come to the realisation that living for others is down right ridiculous. And that now, both can laugh at each others reactions towards either's sexuality and how it effects their behaviour ..... and they lived happily ever after.

I guess what I don't understand is the living for others aspect of the article. And surely, I should because I have done it. But, I don't get it anymore. ... perhaps I need more time to reflect ... and to read it again ......


In the words of Arnold, "I'll be back."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's a wonder what we can become when we learn to love ourselves more. I admire you for that.