Thursday, June 23, 2005

Insert Witty Title Here (if ya can ..).

14 years old. 14 years old ... my sister is 15 ... and when I look at her all I can think is "Oh God, I was one fucked up kid. Thank God she isn't." I got my first job ever when I was 14 years old. Security beleive or not, for my hometown. It was either $5.50 or $7 bucks an hour, either way for me it was alot of money. But I must admit, the whole reason I started working was because I had just discovered alcohol and drugs, and work would give me money so that I could buy more. I didn't realise it then, but I was depressed as a child, abandoned by everyone because of my parents separation. (and BTW, I no longer seek sympathy or pity ... I now know that shit happens and sometimes theres nothing you can do to stop it) So shit happened, shit that made every person in my family leave. It felt like they left me, both parents and both older siblings; but truth be told, they were only dealing with the situation as best they can, not realizing what it was doing to us three younger kids (I was 14, brother was 12, sister was 6 yrs). And not knowing what was going on, I too became a shell. An empty wanderer comsumed in my own self pity. Of course, I never told anyone this for I played the part of a normal functioning well adjusted young boi. I lied. So I made friends, left my home and moved in with friends. And so my working career began.

Like I said, my first job was with a security company. Odd jobs left and right, working dispatch, being on patrol (14 yr old on patrol, what a joke), clean up duties. I remember, when I was on patrol (driving around in my moms truck [I was only 14, but I've been driving since I was 8 yrs]), I passed a parked limo in the ghetto portion of my town (which is like 2 blocks away from the good portion of town ... there isn't a whole lotta town). And I noticed some guys holding something shiny. I didn't think much of it and drove on. Then BAM. Drive by shooting on my cousin's cousins home. A limo drive-by in my lil ass town. Less than two minutes after I seen the limo, it happens. And I'm working security, AT 14 YEARS OLD! Needless to say, I wasn't working for security again the next year. (it was only a summer job)

Throughout the ages (I laugh at that expression since I'm only 23, lol), I've worked many places.

14 yrs old, Security (summer job)

15 - 17 yrs old, video store clerk (part-time and school), I had quit because I wanted time to myself, but ended up being called to a store meeting. And when the meeting was over, confused I asked "Didn't I quit?" My boss looked at me and said, "Yes, you did. Here's the new schedule."

At 18 years old, I was the manager of the video store. Lets just say some of the employees did not like a boss who was alot younger than them. AND, I RAN THAT STORE INTO THE GROUND, lol. Nah, upper management was deciding what to do with the store when I got to be manager. They chose to shut down, damage was done that could not be fixed.

18-19 years, more video stores (Video Update, Headquarters, yadda yadda yadda)

19 yrs (summer job), Child Services for the Gov't. By oath, I'm not at liberty to say what I've seen in the files, but I'll say this ... some kids have got it REAL BAD.

19 yrs old, (during school) Teacher Assistant for a Drama Class in my high school.

20 yrs (summer job) receptionist for a Management Consulting/Investment Firm. And held that job for three years.

23 yrs old (summer job) Receptionist for a Law Firm.

Along the way, I had quit the drugs and alcohol. Moving from school to school, having many friends, losing some friends, getting into vehicle accidents ... I seen the big picture. I had to take care of me. And it seemed that when I realised this, my family came back. We were different people since we parted ways, but we each had a profound relationship for each other and a sense of respect for one another. We stopped pointing at each other and placing blame for our misfortunes and started looking inward. We're definately closer today than when we were before my world changed. A sense of understanding has been developed. And when I look at my younger sister of 15 yrs old, I'm glad she doesn't have to go through all that, for its a lonely road. A road that many don't come back from. Although my heart never left her, I still had to come back for not only her sake, but for my own; and I'm glad I came back to her so that she can never doubt that she was loved. She is loved, this I tell her. I keep her young, and she keeps me young.

Long post, I know. And I'm sorry, it wasn't my intent on being this long and serious. I was going to be witty with my "Jobs I've Had" list. Apparently not, lol. Either way ...

No comments: