Friday, June 17, 2005

UberCinemaphile

I remember back in the day, I was an Ubercinemaphile. My entire family, including relatives, would ask me what movie was worth going to see in the theaters, or if they should just wait to rent it when its released on video/DVD. I was always caught up in the latest releases and upcoming attractions. I would literally be irritated if we missed the previews while going to the movies. Back then, thats who I was. I recognised what logo belonged to what production company. I understood what foreshadowing meant in a movie and how to look out for it. I've come to know that there were cetain rules that movies followed.

But most of all, I loved going out to movies with friends. I loved talking about the "cool scenes" in any movie that was just watched. It was almost as if our adrenaline was pumped skyhigh. Sure they didn't understand a whole lot about movies like I did and so I couldn't really talk about what I wanted to (although there were times when I could teach them film lingo / aesthetic elements, etc; which boosted my ego, and my geek factor), but they knew what they liked. And what mattered was that we were there. Hanging out, doing something we all loved to do, getting caught up in an escape protrayed on the big screen.

I miss it. I can't remember the last movie I've seen in the theaters. Something I loved so much, is gone.

No comments: