Sunday, November 06, 2005

Gotta Love ... dreams

The sand is hot underneath my bare feet, yet a cool breeze passes me by. The vast empty desert lay all around me, reminding me that I too am merely a speck of dirt. And so I walk. My white pajama like clothing flaps in the cool breeze as it picks up and lays low in continuous intverals as I walk with intention forward. And suddenly, I no longer walk alone.

The scortching sun beats on my skin as I feel the presence of a few more people behind me. Curiousity takes me whole for I need to know who they are. But I can't take my eyes off the distant horizon, for somehow I know I mustn't steer my eyes away. And so I stop, for a brief moment, staring forward but knowing those behind me will continue to walk past me. My eyes never leave my unknown distination as others walk past me ... and I see that they too, wearing exactly what I am wearing are also walking with great intent to the unknown horizon. I continue forward.

Somehow I walk faster than they, for I am leading now. But I feel more and more others behind me. The numbers grow as we walk.

Ever so slightly, the ground makes a steady incline. But I see no hill before me. I feel it coming, and yet I see nothing. But its there.

The others grow and the incline increases. And still we walk. My focus is steered to the sand hill we've somehow approached unknowingly. But do I care? No. I tackle the sand hill as it grows in size .. and suddenly I'm climbing. The hot sand has turned to rock as I'm no longer journeying by foot. I need my hands now to pull me up the mountain. The vast empty desert is still around me as I know I must reach the top. My bare feet give me the support I need on the hard rock asI continue to climb.

Reach by reach I pull myself further up, until finally I reach the last ledge. I struggle to pull myself over. One arm, then the other. Until finally the knowing moment when I pulled my first leg over that I've finally reached the top. I dwell on the moment knowing I conquered the mountain that I still unknowingly to me I challenged. I rise to my feet, still facing the direction I've always been journeying toward. And as I stand on the edge of the mountain, soaking in the blazing sun, the refreshing warm breeze and the vast empty desert below; feeling the others still behind me, I know I must continue forward.

The bed is cool. The air is still. The room is dark when I awake. 5:13am the clock reads next to my bed. And still I feel the blazing sun and the hot sand.

No comments: