Friday, March 31, 2006

Sometimes ...

Sometimes you just can't help but feel good.

So last night was the LAST night that Metro/Boystown was open. The end of an era so to speak as the ten year old bar is closing its doors for good. And so last night, EVERYONE was out, even though it was only thursday. And although the once most popular gay bar in Calgary was closing, everyone was having a good time.

Now I must say that I was not a resident of Calgary during Boystown's hayday, whilst it was in its prime, but ... actually that was the point.

Anyways, the bar was packed. Everyone was chatting with everyone. You were literally bumping shoulders and coping feels as you walked through the crowd. Unfortunately, this bar hasn't had that kind of action in a LONG time and whats more unfortunate is that it took closing doors to get everyone there.

Anyways, back to feeling good ... there are just sometimes when you realise where you stand; an epiphany, a revelation of what is. And last night, in an brief moment while I stared at the packed dance floor of the closing bar, I realised where I stood. For I remembered comments that everyone was saying that entire night as I was introducing my friends to each other.

It struck a cord when I heard:

"Yeah, he's a good guy. Hell, even my boyfriend likes him. My bf thinks he's a great guy. Which is odd, because my bf doens't like anyone."

I was feeling good for I realised I needed to take time out from talking to so many people everywhere I stood. Everywhere I walked there was someone to say hi to, and laugh with, and joke around with, and be a bitch with (damn, he's actually wearing that?!). Where ever I looked there was someone with a story, someone with a history that I knew. I felt good.

No comments: